Monday, October 19, 2009


I guess the Lord knows I have no willpower when it come to food. I made the decision on Thursday to join with others on Karen Ehman's blog ( in Weightloss Wednesdays. I am at my heaviest point and just can't do it anymore. My back hurts, I have no energy and it's something that I have to do for me. I casually watched what I ate Friday, Saturday and yesterday---although it was hard since I was working both jobs. Yesterday afternoon while at the Y, I was doing well. I had had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a protein shake midmorning and a footlong turkey sandwich for lunch (I knew that I would be working through dinner). About four o'clock, a birthday party left and they stopped at the front desk to give me a piece of cake. I should have said no but it's cake!!!! It was just tiny sliver (I made sure of that) so I took it. Did I want it, not really. Was I hungry? Not really Did I eat it---you betcha. And then I started feeling sick. It started with a dull headache and I idiot you just ate straight carbs and sugar. I was reading a Good Housekeeping Magazine and came across an article called "Straying Fork Syndrome". It was about choosing the foods you really want instead of the ones that ambush you. At first I was skeptical about what the article would say but it really spoke to me. The author talks about food being one of two types--"hummers" and "beckoners". After reading the article, I realized that the cake was a beckoner. I didn't have a craving for that cake but it just looked so good I had to eat it. It beckoned me and I answered. I left work and went to Jeff's to do a load of laundry. I thought about what I wanted to eat, what really sounded good to me and I decided that I really wanted a BBQ Baked Potato. Since I was in Collinsville, I went to Bandana's and ordered one. It tasted SO good, was exactly what I wanted but the more I ate the more my head hurt.
So back to the opening of my blog where I said the Lord knows I have no willpower. That headache led to a VERY long night of throwing up---the cake, my wonderful BBQ Baked Potato, everything!!! About 3:30, after taking 800mg of ibuprofen, I fell asleep. I woke up this morning with a sore neck, a filthy bathroom and a stomach that is still rolling. So today, I am sipping water, eating crackers and saying "OK, I get it".
As I was driving in, I passed a swan on Highway 157. A SWAN!!! It was the oddest thing and I have no idea where it came from. Yet there it was just walking down the turn lane.

I started writing this yesterday morning but by afternoon was again feeling icky so I didn't finish it. I managed to stay at work until 5PM. As they saying goes "the show must go on" and we had outside appointments. As I was leaving I noticed a "pond" of sorts across the highway which is the result of construction. I guess this is where the swan was headed or came from.
I stopped by Dairy Queen for a plain cheeseburger ( my go to meal when I am sick as this is what mom/dad gave me when I was little and sick)and headed home. I laid on the couch drinking water and catching up on shows that I had recorded.
Today, my stomach is better but still not 100%, my head is no longer pounding but the ache has moved to my back. I guess it is working its way out of my body--I hope.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I'm praying that you feel better soon my friend.